Tuesday, October 6, 2009

An unconventional idol

"Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."
-Kurt Cobain

In college, one of my part time jobs was to tutor a young male who was struggling in school. He was also in trouble with the law, but that was not my area of expertise. He had been into some trouble and had an interesting lifestyle. He, nevertheless, had some interesting and nontraditional idols. Kurt Cobain was one of his idols. Each week we met at the library, and after he finished his homework, he was able to look for some books to read to pass the time. One of his favorites was Kurt's life story. It was uncomfortable for me to hear praise for him when I had known of different parts of his lifestyle.

This story doesn't have a lot to do with the quote, just that whenever I hear of Kurt Cobain I think of my young mentee. Perhaps, though, had I known about this quote back then, I would have been more motivated to encourage learning about Kurt Cobain.

This quote has had significant importance on my life - and will continue to. It is something that I am able to repeat to myself regularly. It is too easy in this world to get wrapped up in someone else's life and "wish" for something else.

What can YOU be proud of? Who are YOU? Those are important questions to look at - and answer - without having any reservations.

Thanks, Kurt, for providing good in the midst of trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment